Featured Post

Tech Challenges and Solutions for Online Educational Service Businesses

The Situation As I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, being a small educational service business is an uphill battle. This is, in pa...

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

My Graduate School Practicum experience

EDU 670 – Practicum in Online Teaching and Instructional Design – Week 1 Reflection

Finally
Well….the time has finally come! I have reached the practicum of my Master of Science degree in Online Teaching and Instructional Design. It blows my mind that I took my first class January 2015 and now, here I am. It is time to culminate and condense all the things that I have learned into one final graduate school experience. If you know me, then you know that I am up for the challenge.

A quick look back
As I met with my supervising instructor to start the week, I realized that this will be a highly anticipated yet emotional end to this program for me. The last time I attempted to go back to school was 2000 timeframe. My son had just been born and I was motivated to go back to school and make a better future for my family. Newborn! Yes, the X-Ray Diffraction and Crystallography course ate my lunch.

This time, things have been totally different. Years of experience and dealing closely with my children’s education, I found a graduate program that I see as cutting edge and something that I am not only passionate about, more importantly, it is something that I am good at. God had a different plan for me and I am so happy that I was obedient to follow and I am eager to share this final graduate school experience with you.

Week 1 Reflection

Week 1 has gotten off to a great start. As I mentioned before, the week started with a synchronous meeting with my supervisor to talk through guidelines and purpose of the practicum. As always, Dr. Linton made sure that I was clear on my assignment and answered any questions that I had.

Here is a brief look at week 1……I submitted my practicum description using blendspace. Awesome tool!



I also created a Facebook event to market the official launch of my company website.



Yes I have been busy, but this is so much fun! As a student, having the ability to create and share work by means other than just words, is empowering.


I have a second course this summer where I needed to create Personal Learning Plan. This was an excellent opportunity for me to share and put my skills to use. So, I created this YouTube video and posted to my Mind Over Tutors website. This is an instructional type video of work that I completed in Prezi. So much cool stuff! Students of any age will love it.

To wrap up my week 1 activities I figured that I needed practice driving folks to my Facebook page and website. What better way than to start with friends.


What do you think?

All in all I feel that this has been a very productive week 1. I was very excited to get off to a good start and do everything I can to be ready August 15, 2016. I did not have any bad technology experience this week, which is very positive. I really see my skill level increasing at a very rapid pace with each project. I cannot even began to tell you how many new cool tools that I have been exposed to in the last year and a half. I believe that everything is making sense to me and I am excited to share with all of you.

Conclusion

I expressed to my supervising instructor that I was going to share my reflections on my blog. I want this experience to be shared and I am hopeful that you will find something of use here. That is the whole point of Mind Over Tutors Online Academy. As I go forward, I will continue to post my weekly reflections here. This way, everyone can see not only the tools but most important, the application and implementation of the tools. Please feel free to post your comments. I love this work!








No comments:

Post a Comment